Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jun 21, 2017

Rough Start--Henry's and the Beav. 6-17 6-21

Well, this isn't what the book says, or all the experience over the years.  What is it they say, "its just nice to be out here," "the weather sure is comfortable,"  "better than working."  Right.
 
The flow on the Fork is a perfect, knee-high 850 with no weeds.  Water is clear.  Not excessively crowded for the opener.  Bugs?  What bugs?  Something's out of whack.  (First morning, I saw one fish rise, cast to it, caught it on the first cast, and then never made another cast all day.  Come evening, I went looking for Brown Drakes at Osborne.  No drakes, but saw one fish rise, cast a Drake Cripple at it, it ate first cast, and I never saw another rise.  But hey, two for two, right?  Days are pretty long to make just two casts.  Day two I never made a cast.  I gave it one more morning, "just in case."  Nope.  Outta here.  Probably will be a blanket hatch in the morning, but a guy can only take so much.  I did see a few other guys hook a fish here and there, but you just had to be lucky, in the right spot for a fish taking whatever happen to float by on occasion.
 
Now, I did take a minor detour over to another spring creek, the Buffalo, one afternoon.  The Green Drakes were poppin', and the fish were up and on 'em!  10-13 inchers.  Its not every day you get to fish drakes on a small clear spring creek, so I enjoyed it for a few hours, but that's not what I'm here for.  Again, outta here. Shoulda listened to Les!  But, I can't drive by, or around, my favorite trout river, even if it is in peril.
 
The Beaverhead?  I gave it two full mornings, in the glory hole, with a perfect flow of 300 cfs,  with clear water (NOT "Beaverhead clear, but really clear!).  Saw one fish rise, it took, I missed, and that was the whole fucking Beaverhead eperience.  A few fish rising at the bottom of the big slick in the evening, but that was the only activity other than its famous evening mosquito hatch in full force.  I gave it two mornings and evenings.  A least they have a Dairy Queen in Dillon. Outta here.  When it doubt, head for the MO!
 
It is a nice place to be
 
The one lucky riser
 
The only Brown Drake I'll use this season
 
The PMD box--for not.
 
More snow up there on June 17 than in many years
 
Afternoon saver, the Buffalo
 
Drakes!
 
Big drakes!
 
Its a new towing machine, 11 mpg, might as well drive it.  No risers here.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment