Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jun 23, 2023

Mayflies, Caddis, and Sallies

Oh my!  What is it with these bugs on arrival I have?  I pull in to a "new" river, and the bugs are loaded. First roll into Last Chance-march browns.  Ranch opener, PMDs all to myself.  Up to the MO, PMDs again.

This time, mid-afternoon yesterday, caddis on the water and in the air. PMDs on the water.  Sallies crawling all around, over, and in the camper. I guess it was that one summer day.  Today its cool, bordering on cold.  Yep, I can already feel the days getting shorter.   But, the fish are chompin'.  Big time. Easy fishing. Releases from the dam are a hair over 300.  The gauge just below where I'm fishing says around 120. Maybe I'll stay a few days and see if there's a second summer. This morning's PMDs started about 90 minutes before the siren. Nothing else joined them, must be too cold.  Raining and 46 at mid-afternoon.  WTF.  Oh ya, endless winter of 2023.  This evening was ok with some caddis and big PMDs.  Clouds this afternoon were all bark and no bite, except for some cold wind.  Check the slough tomorrow?


Fish are eating 1-6 inches off the river-left bank for 400 feet up, and 200 feet down.

Just walkin' up the bank both evenings, mowing them down.  Great chance to work on my straight upstream game, though from the fish here, it doesn't need work.  I wish I could do it on the Fork, like Harrop does.  Needs work!

Something about barns, wood barns, on a river, where trout are rising.

This fluffed up EZ Caddis (Lawson) took fish after fish after fish.

This was a nice change of scenery when it calmed down.

For the PMD's in the morning.

I think it was on the patch from the MO

Mmmm Hmmm










2 comments:

  1. Wow, great looking Browns...bingo on river choice.
    bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, favorite shot is the Barn one. I grew up fly fishing a pastoral region with wooden barns, old bridges with stone abutments, some covered bridges, etc....it all goes together and heightens a days fishing experience.
    bob

    ReplyDelete