Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Nov 16, 2023

Time

I waive good bye to fall, for the most part, on a high note, with bugs on my waders and slime on my hands.  I never thought I'd fish midges so much in September and October. Hell, I'm sort of getting used to it again. I thought I would miss the Beaverhead in October, which I've fished in the fall for a long time, but now closes Oct. 1.  While it would have been nice, I really didn't need it this month.  I didn't make it back to Silver, or the late month drives to the Boise and Owyhee.  I keep driving right past my great home waters of western Wyoming.

However, there's that hopper day on the Fork I'll remember forever.  I still can't believe what I saw. Then two days on the creeks completely alone. That doesn't happen very often, especially on nice days. Finally, that huge pod of non-stop rising fish on that final morning on the MO. It looked like the MO all right! It all worked out OK. Never enough days, but as they say, you can't stop time.  You can't save it or get it back either.  The best you can do is spend as much of it as you can standing in a trout river, or on a tarpon skiff, living on fly fishing time.  





Oh, and in case anyone is counting, 244 days until the Ranch opens!

No comments:

Post a Comment