Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jul 11, 2018

Can't Win

I was just looking back at this blog exactly one year ago, catching nice beautiful fish on flavs and caddis and pmd's in a wonderfully flowing 640 CFS Henry's Fork.  It was zipping 1,000 when I got here yesterday evening, and had been for a week. This morning they bumped it up another 150 so it is flowing nearly double last year's flow. You can sure tell because there ain't shit up, despite about the same PMD and flav hatch with caddis sprinkled in.  Like that old Olympia beer commercial said in a positive way, "it's the water."  Too much water, here too.  Chunks of weeds floating down river from bank to bank, and flotsam and junk covered the downwind bank on the far side when they bumped the water.  This is a recording. 

I did get a couple of eats on the flav soft hackle this morning before the water bump, and one this evening when it was too dark to see my fly, so I'm trying, I really am. It's a long wait until next June and early July, and I can't really say I'm looking forward to baetis here this fall.  Maybe mahoganies.  Maybe I'll get to catch some big fish on big bugs on the Yellowstone next week.

Its 3 a.m. and I'm laying here and can't sleep.  I look forward to this time period at this place for the entire year. Hardly a day goes by I don't think about it,  except for maybe my weeks in Campeche.  When I get up to work in the mornings, it's so I can be here for these hatches.  There's an old saying about having the rug pulled out from under you.  In this case, it's more like having the water poured over me.  There's other days, other trips, other fish, and other rivers, but they're just not the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment