Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jul 1, 2020

Armstrongs

Holy shit.  The wind was blowing from the start on day one, and never let up through late afternoon.  Big winds.  Made it a struggle, despite a decent PMD hatch.  Most fish fed just underneath where there was less chance for lunch to blow away, and because that's what they do anyway.  I could get in a few casts between the gale force gusts (no joke, to 40+!).  Anywhere else that I could fish anytime I wanted, I wouldn't have bothered.  But instead I fished the middle run, by myself, from 8:30 to just after 4.  I mostly got schooled, but managed a few mostly from the middle of the creek.  Those big ones feeding in the slower water were once again moving agressively for the nymph just under.  I did grease a #20 PT and it worked, but I couldn't see the son of a bitch, especially in the wind.  So some fish to hand, a bunch more eats, and a lot of cussing the earth's greatest design flaw.
Fishable earlier

Pre hatch, and visible

What the surface looked like most of the time

Good early in the hatch



There are some good fish in this part of the creek

No comments:

Post a Comment