Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Sep 29, 2024

One

 

I know, same shot of the same big pool at roughly the same time this morning.  But that's one thing about this pool, its never the same two days in a row, or two mornings in a row.  And its the closest I get to being a millionaire.  Actually, I'm richer than a millionaire by just standing here.  Its looks good and feels right again this morning.  There's nothing doing though.

I finally locate a couple of rising fish on river left up below the pelican side channel.  I get a couple of eats from the smaller fish.  The wind associated with a dry cold front starts howling at 11:30.  About 1:00, and I finally start seeing a stray mahogany back down at the cliff, the only place out of the wind, kind of.  Once in a blue moon a fish rises.

4 1/2 hours into my morning, this one eats as I walk my mahogany down the middle of the slick at the very bottom of the rock island.  A freebie.  All I can find over a foot long.
Seems fitting it eats the hares ear soft hackle, the best mahogany match ever, and probably my favorite fly these days.  
It could very well be my last Ranch fish for 259 days.  A good one to remember for all that time.

I messed around at Vernon for an evening and a day.  Mostly small fish with a pretty good bwo hatch.  Went up to the box one evening and messed with a few with the leech.  Time for the move.
Evening bwo's.

Morning run

Box at 150 cfs.



No comments:

Post a Comment