Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jul 1, 2023

Drakes?

And just like that, in the blink of an eye, June on the Henry's Fork is over.  Another 11 1/2 months of waiting begins.  Waiting for what, I'm not quite sure of, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't already anticipating June 15, 2024.  Now on to the news.

The farmers haven't called for water yet, so the flow remains low, really low at 600-650.  Its fantastic for wade fishing, I can walk just about anywhere.   Coupled with peak season crowds however, and the fish are spooky and not very willing to rise, even when there's bugs.  I fished the bottom of the box, Last Chance, the upper Ranch, Millionaires, and below Osborne.  I'm pretty sure the masses had the rest of it covered.  Just a fish here and there for the most part, and not much of that.  The river is still not healthy.  Even in the low clear water I'm not seeing or spooking as many fish.  Fewer fish, fewer bugs.  And that's the way it is.

Brown drakes?  No sign of them.  The water is warm, and a couple of nights really seemed right.  Green ones?  For an hour or two late morning, a brief appearance in the right spots.  The gulls get most of 'em.

Ultra Low.  Posted July 1 from Livingston.  See what they did today!

New log?

Peak Season at Last Chance

Plenty of people, plenty of gulls

I've been fishing this rock since 1983.  Sometimes its hard to even wade to.  Its always fishy, even today.

Rusty's post.  I missed one, twice, on both drake patterns, just above it.  That was the morning.

The fine pool at the end of the Box.  Not a fish in sight this morning.

Green Drake water.  The gulls know it.

Speak of the devil.

Still the best match for me.  It got ate more often than not when I could find a target

A good follow-up to the spider.

Meh, well, I got a couple eats on it.

The best fly I own.  Evening fly on this trip.

Waiting on drakes.

I will never get tired of this iconic view, especially in the fading light.

That's Les way the hell out there, in his spot, with a "visitor."  

More waiting on drakes

Found this one at noon one day at the parking lot.  Blind squirrel . . . 




The last morning and I had this green drake run to myself somehow.  Saw three, hooked three.

The very next cast after the fish above.  And the last here on a drake, until next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment