Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jul 22, 2023

That's a Wrap.

There it goes! Early summer as I know it, look forward to it, and fish it, is over.  Wham.  In an instant.  Ya, its the peak of summer with the hottest temps of the year, but that means its done.  I'll have to cross my fingers that I stumble into some PMD's or Caddis again somewhere between now and next June, though not likely and brief if it happens.  Not in Montana.  

I finally left the valley and headed over the hill to the Sawtooths for a temperature reprieve and change of scenery.  The big Salmon River and the smaller tributaries are all gin-clear.  Some showed a few little trout, others not so much.  I put Galena Pass and Silver Creek in my crosshairs for the trip home.  That, at least, completes getting wet in my "big 5" (Fork, MO, Dillon, creeks, and Silver.) The Boise and Owyhee are scorching hot this time of year.  Others I missed because I lived in Dillon.

I didn't get to fish the MO in all its glory due to high water, and later hot temps. The Henry's Fork continues to be a shadow of its former self.  The creeks were their normal good to great, depending on the day.  They're the most stable fisheries I know of.  A quick stop at Silver Creek, hot and windy. I could retire in Dillon. (Gunner should, would if he could!)

Last morning on the slough with a couple risers on the first bend.

Looked good.  

Galloup's spinner 12:00 high

And another nice one, and not much else . . . 

Fly of the trip.


Cooler high country

That's a pod of rainbows in a deeper hole







Clear water tributary

Main Salmon

Don't see these much anymore!  No buttons, just turn the lever and pump it!

Top of Galena


Cloudy on Silver


Bugs flying.


Last fish of the trip.



No comments:

Post a Comment