Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Aug 28, 2017

Fork Calling (550cfs)

I just needed to go.  I haven't done squat since mid-July except for a few one-day's on the 'Stone and Green.  Eclipse weekend screwed me out of one summer weekend, the one I usually spend in Jackson fishing Flat Creek.  (Right on the dreaded line of totality)  Labor Day is upcoming and messes up another one.  This might be the last real summer weekend.  Summer just got here for Christ's sake.  Oh ya, I live in the arctic.  June, July, August, and Winter.  It was 39 Friday morning on the Fork.

But, I know its still summer when I can get off the lake, hook up the trailer, and drive to the Fork before dark.  Mission accomplished.  It felt like a summer afternoon drive, complete with a few thunderstorms, and it was.  I saw light yellow leaves.  The grass is brown in many areas.  The air is smokey.  Its hot.  Dog days, but soon to end.  And besides, I haven't even fished a trico hatch this summer.  Oh, the shame of it.

I also wanted to see if Frontier Anglers' fishing report of big fish in Poindexters and clear water in the Beaverhead was true, even though I knew that was unlikely.  It was pure bullshit.  "Best fishing in 25 years."  Right.  Beav. is "Beaverhead clear", and Poindexters is full of 4" browns.  But it was a nice air conditioned drive to kill a hot afternoon.

Tricos dominated the Fork mornings.  Nice fish up and on them for about two hours.  Some caddis fish at dark too.  Not much in between.  But its waters are clear and cool.  The weeds are up, but not as thick as last year.  Perfect flows.  A good primer for fishing 20's and 6X coming up, and I even saw a couple of the first Mahoganies!  It looks very Baetis-ready too.  No break-offs.  No wind knots. Lots of misses.  Some killer eats.  Even touched a few.  Not bad after fishing mostly PMD's and Drakes since June.
Brown replacing green

Tricos in the House


FOD #20


This #20 worked too!




Smokey moon rise
This sums up the Slough

But maybe again someday, here?

Or Here

Maybe

Hopefully

3 comments:

  1. Jim: Thanks for fishing report (honest report). Was thinking of fishing the Beav. for a few days next week. Got a week off and hoped things would have cooled down! No such luck. I had read Frontiers report and was up for it. Been on the Slough but never the Beav. Was wondering about section between Barrets(?) and Dillon (less traffic) as will have my dog with me and from what I've read upper section is busy. Sounds like water clarity so, so. Not a big fan of off color water.
    Like that spinner/ wings flush in water photo.
    bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bob, I've never fished below Barretts, but have seen people launching there, and at the bridge just above Poindexters. The river was not as "beaverhead brown" the further down from the dam. The water at Pipe Organ bridge didn't look too bad, although it was a bit high for my liking. Weather forecast is no good, sunny and hot for the forseeable future. Me and Les want your email address. Mine is pooner99@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim: Thanks for info. Good luck on your fall angling. My email : sippingtrout@gmail.com Hopefully Les will pick it up here. Thanks for your email address.
    bob

    ReplyDelete