Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Sep 18, 2017

Defeated

I don't think I've ever fished the Fork for three days and not gotten fish slime on me somewhere.  So, break out the clichés.  There's a first time for everything. Can't always land 'em.  That's why they call it fishing . . . blah blah.  Fuck that, I just didn't have my game.  And, without any bad luck, I had no luck at all.
 
Arrived early Friday afternoon to light rain, no wind, and baetis on the water.  Woo hoo!  After a couple hours of physically and mentally acclimating to the 40 degree temperatures again, watching the little guys rise from the viewing platform, I decided to layer up and go find some risers.  I found 3 at the roadside "billboard" run.  They all ate a #20 Sri Lanka baetis.  I missed all three.  Omen.
Saturday morning was the pure definition of perfect.  The air rose above freezing, it was full on cloudy, no precip., and not a breath of wind.  Not much of a breath of mahoganies either.  The baetis did finally come in the afternoon.  I found a few nice fish up during the morning, had a couple eats and refusals as usual, but that was all.  Later in the afternoon, I found a couple of nice fish above the logjam.  After failing with aquatic flies, I went to the beetle, hooked two brutes, and proceeded to lose them both to weeds and destiny.  Guess that’s what I get.
Sunday dawned bright and cold, but warmed by 10 am.  More mahoganies, but not a lot.  Fish were eating them occasionally.  More refusals, more misses, and a few hours spent on two particular fish that I also missed, was rejected by, and eventually spooked from their “impossible drift” lanes.  But I was busy for 6 hours or so, enough that I forego the late afternoon baetis fishing in the upstream wind that made a good presentation with tiny flies all but impossible.  My ass is hurting now.
Monday morning had some light overcast and no wind.  Perfect again.  There were more mahoganies, but still not lots.  Enough to get some fish eating them, though still mostly smaller fish up.  I did find two of the biggest fish I'd seen on this visit.  It took an hour or so on each one, but I got both of them to eat and got hooks in both of them.  Too bad they were size 20 hooks on 6X.  One just cleaned my clock and parted ways with fly number one.  The second was assisted by a large weed bed followed by a jump, and that was over.  But I did hear my clicker and see line run out!
I had fish to cast to every day.  My flies got ate every day.  I stayed busy every time I was on the water, every morning.  This place can do this I guess.  So I've heard!
Arrival
 
That's mid-afternoon steam
 
Three ate it, then none for the rest of the time.
 
Yep, Summer's over now.
 
Just below snow line
 
 
Still plenty of weeds
 
Just following the first miss of the day (Les Kish photo)  Good meeting you Les!
 
The trail, in honor of Bob.
 
 
Where the big ones live
 
Lots of this
 
 
Large bank feeders here
 
They ate it and refused it.  Mahogany winner though.
 
Really liked the thread tail.  It hooked up.
 
Uh huh.
 

3 comments:

  1. Jim: Keep swinging and you'll start hitting them out of the park...you always do. Good luck on that next fish. Like the path pics and comment...like the path where the "big ones" are. Sri Lanka baetis? Is a tea bag involved the tying process? Neat you met Mr Kish!
    bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, that fly is an ebay purchase, for about $2.50 a dozen. Its horribly tied, over dressed, looks like hell, and the fish just love it! Deadly on the MO. A friend first tried them last year, and we dubbed it the "Sri Lanka," because that's probably where it was tied. Not many tears when you lose one. They usually fall apart after a fish or two, though some make it through 6 or 8. Get what you pay for. Its rather complex for a baetis. Sparkle tail, biot body, copper rib, wood duck "legs", CDC and poly wing, and a dubbed head. All that on a # 18 and #20? Whew! I'll stick to $2.50 a dozen, or use my simpler stuff. The damn thing sure works though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim; Re: Thanks for clarification on Sri Lanka baetis....speaking of overdressed...sometimes when nothing is working I put on an Lafontaine emergent sparkle pupa9 heavy shuck, puffy body) and fish it dry/in film...and have success on a challenging fish that's rejecting everything even though no caddis are around. Continued good luck on Mo.
    bob

    ReplyDelete