Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Sep 17, 2018

Fall?

I always jump the gun.  Some years it comes early.  Not this year.  But it was time to go, and I'm here.  The drive up in September always gets me.  Gone are the spring to life greens, the beginnings, and the anticipation of all that is to come in early summer.  In are the browns (no, not the trout), with some yellow beginning to show.  It's so final. But hey, there's no floods!  If I can just keep my mind in the moment and not thinking ahead to the fact that it will be 8 more months before I see caddis, drakes, and PMD's with any significance, then I can soak up the last warm rays and enjoy some smaller bugs for another 4-5 weeks.  At least this year I have a therapeutic trip to catch the greatest sport fish on the planet in tropical paradise exactly 40 days from now.  It really helps to have that locked-in bail-out program awaiting.

Meanwhile, back at the Ranch, I've invited some mahogany duns to breakfast the last two mornings, but only a few showed up, hardly enough to matter.  Same with the fish.  I found a couple but its not too good yet.  Oh ya, its still summer, but now I'm running the little furnace at night, sleeping later, and eating breakfast while the fog burns off.  I'm fishing #16's and 5X too!  There's probably better fishing just about anywhere else, but, well, you know.  (I'll get there)  Cloudy in a couple days?  Maybe.  Will it change?  It always does.  It'll be better in a week or three.  Probably.
The triangle, two wet and one dry at this flow (380-ish).  Less weedy than past couple years.

This happens when somebody forgets to retract the zoom from the shot before.

I didn't see many Mahoganies, but the fish know . . . 

If you really hunt . . . 

No hesitation

Fires in Wyoming in upper Hoback/Greys River area.  Three of them making clouds.

3 comments:

  1. Jim: Nice text regarding Autumn. I get being a bit too early as I usually am...keeners. If you love something you show up early. Gut Lafleur, a great goal scorer for the Montreal Canadians in the 70's, was always the first in the locker room before a game. Good luck in upcoming weeks. Nice you have some Tarpon fishing booked too! bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And today on a different water, I did not show up early and nearly got screwed. There were also "PMD's of significance" after I wrote it would be 8 more months. Guess I ain't so smart after all!

      Delete
  2. I fished the last morning below the Gravel Pits, and there were a few more rising fish down there, but lots of people too. I managed one big fish and a few dinks, and moved on. It will get better in a few. Or should.

    ReplyDelete