Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Sep 23, 2018

Surprise!

What is it with me and autumn bears in the "wrong" places?  First, the busiest place on the Beaverhead right under the I-15 bridge.  Now, on the MO, two miles up river from Craig on one of the most-used islands for shore lunches on the whole place.  (Les, that side-channel you like)  I was casting to a bank feeder, and just happened to turn around to the other bank behind me.  There it was, standing neck deep eating some salad.  Same channel right behind me.

There's bank feeders elsewhere, I dont need to fish here. Walking on the RR tracks on my way out, I pass a fresh pile of scat where I hadn't seen it walking in.  Same side of the tracks I came in on.  Now that I'm looking (and whistling and calling "Hey bear!"), I see an older pile.  It lives here?  More than one?Guess I'm done with this channel for this trip, fishing alone, with no spray.





2 comments:

  1. Jim: An outing you won't forget!
    bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've come to find out that bear is a "resident, or so said a couple of folks in Headhunters. Some have seen it from the time it was a cub. Didn't get any more details. I'm still not returning to that spot this fall.

    ReplyDelete