Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Sep 22, 2022

Gin Clear

A breath of fresh air, clear water, and mostly clear skies for the last 6 days.  A place I can once again appreciate a 15-16 inch trout, even though I'm not touching very many that size and up.  I see 'em.  I cast to 'em.  They give me chances.  I worked two fish feeding off and on all morning on a bank two days ago.  Never got an eat.  A good stalk and presentation bring a chance.  Ya gotta execute physically, and continue the progression of steps to get one to hand.  Its a bit hellish to know exactly what I need to do, remember how I used to do it, yet struggle to get it done.  A sloppy cast here, a miss there, a tired landing job, weeded . . . 

There is far less weed growth than a year ago though.  The runs are mostly clear on the surface, and hardly a blade of grass flows by in the clean water.  Subsurface vegetation is about normal.  BWO's are like clockwork starting around 9am and continuing throughout the day.  Only a stray Mahogany.  The fish are on the olives though.  Temperatures are still summer like, with highs around 80 after chilly starts in the high 40's.  Only a couple of late afternoon showers. 

Its time for a quick pit-stop back home for a couple days, then back on the road again for all the other places I need to visit before the season changes.  I still don't see a problem with sunny and 70 BWO hatches though!  Beats the hell out of wet dry-flies and frozen fingers.  

Found a pretty nice campsite for the week

Sunny morning BWO's at 9 am daily

A few clouds some mornings

More Normal

Nice ones on the right bank and around the corner.

Good early channel.

Right down main street.

Plenty of Love

Up Town

The favorite, even here.  Had to be done.







Got Lost one day.😉



This trail needs further exploration.

One small step for man, one giant leap for any canine. What's the big deal about these moon craters anyway?

Look who's blocking my fishin' hole!  Walked into the confluence yesterday morning, and walked right into this!

But wait!  Wade in and you get two!

They were feelin' frisky.  Good thing I didn't wear my momma moose costume.




1 comment: