Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jun 25, 2024

Gotta Love Wyoming

Brown trout country.  Pmds starting late in the morning and popping right through the day. I dealt with the famous Wyoming winds howled for several days in a row.   When I could find a place to get in and cast straight up stream or straight downstream with the wind at my back, it worked. It kept some of the riff raff away too.  Didn't see a soul one of the days.

This place is chock full of fish right now, as many as I've seen in a very long time.  They seem to be in decent shape as well.  It has made me question why I pay $120 a day to fish Livingston, although the two really aren't comparable.  But in a lot of ways they are similar.  The fish here seem to be just as picky, at least the bigger ones in slightly slower water.  Most of the fish moving from the holes into the riffles every day about noonish will eat readily once they are comfortable with your presence.  They're all spooky was you approach them in the shallow riffles though.  But when I wait a few minutes, they come back in for the most part.  I did find myself changing flies frequently.  

The Ranch and the brown drakes are calling one more time.  Hopefully anyway. I said I was leaving yesterday, but I couldn't.  And maybe the day before, but I didn't.  Gotta love Wyoming.  

Morning spinners, but bigger fish weren't interested


This little number of Depuy's Fame fooled most of the fish in slower water




Always


Windy couple of days


Loop wing Captive Dun for the win, and wind.


Peacock and partridge for an emerger.


Great in the riffles when the fish came out to play.


4 comments:

  1. Yes indeed, gotta love Wyoming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, great Browns...and wonderful looking water!
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Especially like that second to last brown trout photo...bottom lip submerged, water movement around it, green bank grass backgroud, great angle also.; shows off the amazing head and eye that brown trout have...healthy trutta!
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. I get lucky once in a while. Went back to a camera, the silly phone!

      Delete