Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jun 17, 2024

Weather

First of all, wow, it says this is the 400th post I've put up here.  Who'da thunk that?  Now on with the journal, journey, whatever it is.

Watching the upper Ranch parking lot on a cold rainy day is pretty entertaining.  Watching everybody, many of whom I know or have talked with at length over the years, come and go.  Some stop to rib me, to tell me I can't catch 'em sitting in the truck.  I tell them I don't need to catch one that bad, and that my brain is in that short, anticipated summer mode.  I mean, in less than 3 months its going to be fall, which means winter around here.  

So I watch 'em gear up, grab the rain gear during a light sprinkle, walk to the river, and then come slogging back to the parking lot when the rain gets real.  Some walk to the platform to see if its worth going back out.  A few are diehards, and are going to fish in any weather regardless, every day.  By god, they drove 1,000 miles one way to get here, have the best rain gear money can buy, and are a bunch of tough son of a bitches that have fished in worse.  They're goin'.

Me, I don't need 40 degrees and rain right now.  Maybe September.  If I see a bunch of gulls flying and some drakes, then I might reconsider.  That ain't happening today.  Snow tonight, time for an elevation change.


Lowest of low water at Billboard.  And a couple fish rising.

Warmer overnight camp at the old Teton Dam site.


No comments:

Post a Comment