Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Sep 17, 2016

A Couple Creeks to Begin

This is a good way to start my fall drift through my favorite waters.  Two weeks? Four weeks? Six weeks?  I don't really have to be anywhere until the end of October.  This is the trip where I miss June, and the big bugs of summer.  It's that last long road trip.  But the crowds are gone, the flows are down, and I won't need ice too often.  Just propane.  Oh, and those damn tiny little mayflies.
 
The first stop had some fish eating BWO's around the lunch hour.  About 4 of 'em ate mine too.  Nice ones.  I connected on 3 out of 4 eats, but they were like cell phone connections.  Brief.  Can you hear me now?  Out of the water, into the cut bank, and disconnected. They know the drill, and odds of touching one were slim.  OK, none.  Sure is fun stalking 'em like a heron though.
 
As I pulled into Jackson late afternoon, the breeze was up, but I had nowhere else to be for the evening rise, so down to Flat Creek I went.  Good thing!  From 6 until dusk (7:30), there were nice fish up in the only bend I needed to fish.  Non-stop heads up.  I had 6 or 8 eats, and made some connections. 
Right There
 
And There
 
 
Right there "on" the bank
 
 
And This Guy Here
 
. . . Is There, Casting From Here
 
 
Right There
 
 
They Ate This Up on Flat Creek
 

1 comment:

  1. Jim: Beauty of a cutt. Also like the oxbow/horseshoe bend pic. Good luck with next several weeks..as if you need it.
    bob

    ReplyDelete