Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Sep 30, 2016

Micro Flies, Sunny Skies, and a Stalker

What a way to end September.  I had the whole run below Eva's all day.  Sunny and calm.  Fish up boiling start to finish.  Really doin' it.  I caught more fish on a #24 today than I ever have in one day.  Non stop eatin' it, moving for it, even a few turning around for it!  All in the drift, and the approach. 
 
Upon arrival, someone was at the end of the run I was going to fish.  Oh, the irony.  If you know me, you know my mantra is "stalk 'em like a Heron."  That's just how its done, so it was befitting that the bird was there to greet me before I ever got in the water.  I had a feeling . . .
Definitely "the" spot!
 
Bright and sunny today, and dead calm
 
 
#24 white hackle-on-a-hook
 
"Gnat Flat."  Great stalking visibility
 
 
The Cutthroat end of the creek
 
 
Mid-afternoon
 
 
#24 Griffith Gnat was the Fly of the Day, by far.
 
The grassy bank had sippers too
 
 
#20 gray hanger worked after noon on the grassy corner
 
 
Last fish, a Brown!  Some sort of 3-trout slam?
 
Lightning finally rolled in
 
Never forget, "Stalk 'em Like a Heron!"
 

4 comments:

  1. White hackle is more visible on a bright day with a dark surface or dark bank reflection. Helps a little on those teeny tiny flies. I do the same with a black hackle for those bright glare, light white cloudy days. You need to get over there, both creeks were empty of others and full of risers! I will be back over in a week or two. MO time now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fishing those 24's on slick flat water, fairly close to me, with bright sun. That's the only way I could see 'em! Light conditions were favorable. I was having a hard time finding my 18 yesterday afternoon on the Missouri with the clouds and surface.

      Delete
  2. Jim...Great fish and photos. Also, like the video. As Les stated looks like you are having a great trip. Can't wait to see what you pull out of the Mo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its off to a pretty good start! Gonna get crazy-good with the cloudy days.

      Delete