Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Sep 21, 2016

Equinox One-Fly

 . . . No wind until late, lightly cloudy, really good mahogany hatch, decent Baetis following the mahoganies.  It happened.  The day I've been hoping for here all season.  Best day I've had on the Fork since last year, at least.  This is the river that kicks people's asses?  Its a little easier when everything lines up. Seven hours straight standing in the river waving a stick.  I never do that.  It even worked in the wind for part of the afternoon.  I finally just got wore out, even though there were still some big heads up close to the parking lot.  All the regulars showed up today too.  Those in the know, knew. 
 
I told myself I was going to fish different water than the "creek run" I've parked in the past few days.  I got in the river and crossed to the other side below the log jam.  Low flow makes for easy wading.  I fished downstream right past the creek.  One fly pattern/size worked all day!  Lots of eats.  Fish/flies lost in the weeds.  More misses that I get takes on a lot of days.  Pretty much non-stop ability to find good sized risers.  Not "too good," because its the Fork, and I still had to do it right, from the right position.  I had the right fly locked in.  Rain tomorrow and Friday?  Calm wind?  90%
 
Tonight
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm, then showers after 1am. Low around 42. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Thursday
Showers. High near 57. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Thursday Night
Showers. Low around 41. Calm wind becoming north northeast around 5 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Friday
Showers. High near 49. North northeast wind 5 to 8 mph becoming calm in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
This is what all the fuss is about
 
The Rock Run
 
 
 
 
Mahagonies
 
 
 
One fly all day
 
Calm cloudy mid-day
 
 
Got Baetis
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Quite a day indeed. Wish we could have met. I parked at the log jam in a blue f-150 with my white trailer. This morning there's hardly any mahoganies. Beautifully cloudy and calm though. Baetis are coming?

    ReplyDelete