Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Oct 12, 2016

More Beaverhead Oct 11, 12

After taking most of the day off on the 10th due to wind, the 11th brought cold temperatures, clouds, some rain showers, and a few flakes of snow.  Unfortunately a north wind came too, but it was fishable, and the fish were up and eating pretty good in the cloudy weather.  I did cast to my friendly rainbow from the 8th and 9th, and he ate a para Adams, but the hook didn't go in, and I'm ok with that.  That fish deserved a break, and a victory.  But I couldn't resist the cast, just to see.
 
The 12th was bright and sunny, this time with the south wind that warmed things up nicely.  My day started (noon!) with 4 straight hookups at the bridge.  Then as I proceeded up the bank, I got 6 or so more eats, and never touched a fish.  So it goes.  Didn't see you-know-who rising either.  The afternoon grew progressively slower, and ended without anything to talk about.  Tough day with more wind than yesterday.  Time to move on and do some exploring for a day or two while the wind really roars ahead of the next storm for the weekend.  Livingston?  Hmmm.
It was too cold to get the hands wet, so a few net shots
 
 
A pod of risers here just went to town for a couple hours.
 
 
 
He was there, and ate, and we said our goodbyes.
 
 
# 20 hot fly of the river, and the dark dun winged one too.
 
 
The "spring"
 
 
 
 
The bank with daily risers on its edges
 
The last fish I saw, over 20", and not on my line!
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jim: I'm at the office reading your last 3 posts and looking at all the great bows and browns you are connecting with on dries. Yes, envious... Some dam good fish! You da Man!...can't wait for more posts.
    bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and really enjoy the few posts I have seen thus far! Is that rod fiberglass? ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I often still enjoy the smooth feel of glass. That one is a Fenwick FF 75 from the 70's. My first fly rod!

    ReplyDelete