Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Oct 11, 2016

The Beav. (41cfs) 10-8,9

Its tradition now.  Flows down to a trickle like a spring creek.  Big rainbows rising less than an inch from the bank or weed line. That's where the fly has to go, dead drifted perfect.  Oh what fun.  There's been a few in the upper and lower "glory holes," but more in the slick water near the bank or between grass mats.  Its been windy, and pretty sunny, and in the 60's.  But still, there have been fish to be had.  BWO's are very sparse.  Just enough to bring a few fish up from time to time.  Doesn't seem quite as mossy as previous years, but that could also be because its got another 10 cfs of water running over the thick mats.  Clarity is ok at this low flow.  Its working. 

There's a storm passing by the north and east, and we may finally get some cloudy weather.  Now, if the wind will only stop. Its rocking the trailer tonight.  Will it be really good?  50/50 I'd say. 
 
And there's a fish story . . . On day one, from a classic cut bank, I caught a nice rainbow that was feeding in a precise, near-impossible-drift spot less than an inch from the weeds on the bank.  Weird current, away from the main bank current, literally 1/2 inch from the bank.  I finally got the right cast and drift, and landed the fish on "my" side of the river a bit downstream from where it was feeding.
 
On day two, I walk up the same bank, and there's a fish feeding in the exact same place.  A bunch of casts later and a lucky drift, my Harrop Cripple gets eaten again.  I land the fish, and it sure looks like the one I caught there yesterday.  Upon further review, it is!  No doubt about it, you'll see.
 
I kinda felt bad for the poor thing, but I was also pleased to know I didn't seem to change its ways or do any harm catching it yesterday and snapping some quick photos.  I'm sure its been caught a bunch over the years in this stretch of water, and its mouth had some scars on the side I didn't photograph.  Catch and release really works if we're all careful!
"The" cut bank and run.
 
Eating right there, on the bank
 
Day one catch and release
 
Same bank on day two
 
He's eating right there
 
Haven't we met before?
 
Absolutely!  Check out the spots, especially on the gill plate.
 
And he ate this very same fly twice about 24 hours apart
 
How about a lower glory hole pig.
 
Secret non-hatch weapon.  (I apologize fish Gods)
 
Easier drift lane
 
 
An inch in front of the rock.  How do they get their nose up that close?
 
 
Upper glory hole
 
 
I just like the traditional flies, and this one works
 
Skinny brown.  Most are spawning I guess.  Not catching many.
 
Thanks old friend.  Hope we can meet again.  You're a joy to fish to.  Its fish like you than make it worth the chase.  I wish you a happy life, and hope you refuse lots of flies, break lots of tippets, and avoid the nets in the time you have.  Sorry if I scared you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment