Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Oct 1, 2017

Not Quite Ready? (147-135cfs)

The flow is comfortable and wadeable.  The river is clear, that is "Beaverhead clear", but yes you can see the bottom everywhere, and all the weeds.  Nicest its looked in years.  But why aren't the big fish up and eating?  There were decent hatches on both the 29th and 30th, better on the 30th with some light rain and heavy cloud cover.  I managed to find 4 big fish feeding on the 30th, and fed them all, a couple of 'em twice.  O for 6.  They all ate, and they all had a hook in them for a few seconds.  I keep having these days where I don't have my stuff.  Or, just bad luck.  I mean, I lifted just right and they were there.  Who knows?  Six in a row?  As for more fish rising, maybe the flows need to come down more. All I saw were very small fish rising both afternoons except for those four along some mossy banks and a couple/three I couldn't get a cast to.  Need to re-visit at 40-70 cfs.  All they gotta do is start eating, and game on.
This big riser ate a traditional Adams first cast.  Gone.
 
Others along this bank, couldn't get a cast to 'em.
 
Fed one twice here (same fish?  Highly likely)
 
Ole Thread-tail got ate three times.
 
There were plenty of bugs.  Not blanked, but enough.
 
 
Got ate twice here a few hours apart.  Same fish, had to be.
 
Last good fuck-up here just before dark.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment