Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Oct 15, 2017

Strange Day (153 cfs)

Like a different creek.  Sunny with less wind.  A little warmer.  Should have been better.  However, only a very sparse baetis hatch, not many good fish rising, and a ton of weeds floating down.  Yesterday's sunny day had more bugs, no weeds, and enough good fish up to keep it interesting.  I was just above the little island where I fished yesterday.  Maybe time to go down below the Conservancy at willows or point of rocks.
MO-like weeds floating this afternoon
 
That nose on the right looked like a good one in a weird current line
 
He ate this first cast, and I never touched meat
 
15 minutes and 20 casts later to get the right drift with this
 
It was a fun one I kept out of the weeds
 
Saw more Mahoganies today, but not enough to get bigger fish looking for 'em
 

2 comments:

  1. Jim: Nice to see you are on The Creek...such a pretty place and piece of water. Just checked your last 3 posts....the comments about the WIND fit with my region. It is just like last yr. Other yrs I have had better autumns...more bugs, etc. Seems like you have generally been doing very well wherever you go. Take it to the end and end strong!
    bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. More of the same today, both downstream at point of rocks, and up near the confluence. Sparse bugs, no big fish up. Ideal, of course, is cloudy and no wind, just snotty weather parked in the area. This year it's been all over the place. October is usually a windy month with the changes in seasons. But, I remember a couple of years ago just sunny and 60-70 for several weeks, and that was worse, just terrible for fishing. No clouds on the horizon around here until Friday. I'm only six hours from home. Its calling. Dogs are calling. Even my wife is calling! I leave to go tarpon fishing in 11 days. The signs are pointing home, directly, not passing Flat Creek or the Ham's Fork. I can day trip those anyway. It was a pretty good run overall. We'll see when I wake up in the morning. I ain't too far from the Boise, or the Hagerman spring creeks, or three hrs. back to the Fork. Oh wait, its sunny and 60 again tomorrow everywhere. And the next day.

    ReplyDelete