Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jun 26, 2019

Happening Now

An eventful day worth a post.  Fish were up.  PMD's were up.  Water stayed down. Went to the hot hatch run.  Fish up all day.  They were persnickety though.  Not much love on duns.  Didn't do much with emergers.  It was spinners they were eating, but I couldn't see the good one in that damn white glare.  Had to finally resort to more visible flies that weren't quite as effective, but still worked.  Some year there will be a blue sunny day, but probably not in 2019.  The bugs liked the clouds though, and so did the fish.  Need to tie some black hackled spinners, at least dark dun or brown.  The bright white posted ones worked ok.

Not sure how much longer I can do this.  The back pain starts about 3 hours in.  By hour 4 and 5, its hard to enjoy.  Agonizing.  I had to stop at 3 today, with risers podded up and eating big time.  I could hardly make a cast.  Tomorrow I'm trying the back brace, the Advil/Tylenol cocktail, and my nighttime drugs in the morning.  We'll see.  If they find me rolling down river, swirling in the eddy at Lone Tree, somebody will know why.  I've got to do something. On the Fork, I first thought it was because I hadn't fly fished all winter or spring.  But now I should be warmed up and have my game.  I don't.  I have a week on the creeks coming up.  At least that's shorter casts and with a 3 wt, but it's more intense than this is.

It was a good morning though, and fishing was just getting better and better as the day went on.
Heads up on both sides and above and below the magic island.  Easily waded to at 5400!

Now this is more like it!


Brought out an oldie, "allstage" spinner.



Left a whole pod here mid-afternoon.

Forecast called for severe thunderstorms with lightning and hail.
No Shit Sherlock!  Two inches of Hail in 20 minutes.  

Mable size, but no damage

Aftermath.  No evening bite . . . again.

1 comment:

  1. Jim: Thanks for Mo report. Sounds like it has turned on. Hail here too. Rain every day in form of thunderstorms....
    Watch that back.
    bob

    ReplyDelete