Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jun 29, 2019

Kinda not quite . . .

MO'd out.  Getting there.  Not quite.  Never quite.  But enough for now.  Today was the first sunny hot day.  Fishing and hatches not quite as good as the past couple cloudy days, but it was nice to get some dreaded UV!

Just when I thought I knew something, or at least had a clue, I discovered the stage of bug the fish really want.  Not an adult, not a cripple, not a spinner, not the floating nymph, no, not even an emerger.  How about "jacked-up?"  Or "knocked down?"  Yep, cut off a wing, bend the hook sideways, and clip the hackle so the mutilated fly rides on its side with the hook curled sideways.  BAM!  They were turning to get it!  Had I only have known, or actually taken the knowledge I already had and  tried it.  Kelly wrote about it and made a tying video a while back.  I'd seen it more than once.  Its called a Galloup's Cripple, but it ain't nothin' like a Harrop or Quigley style.  Need to try more new shit!  Caught all my fish on a couple today. On to the Creeks.  Wonder what the Armstrong trout will say?

Eating the MO caddis, for a cadis or a pmd?



Definitely some bugs




Kelly's Cripple


Lt Cahill bent, neutered, and clipped!

1 comment:

  1. Jim: I always pick up some insights from your blog. Kelly's cripple is the latest.I'll tie some up next time I set up the vise. Great post.
    bob

    ReplyDelete