Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jun 19, 2019

Ranch Life

I couldn't be anywhere else, even when I know its gonna suck.  Nothing I can do about it, I just have to see it.  Not much to see for bugs or rising fish.  Four days, plenty of rain, a little wind, cold mornings, and no evening rises.  Not a total loss because its where I belong, I cast to some fish, and I hooked some fish.  Its just that 2019 is the year that there was a January 147th.  Spring didn't come until now, and summer may or may not arrive.  It all seems behind.  Most of the rivers are in peak runoff, or getting there.  The Fork isn't too high (800ish), but its colder and just not happening on the Ranch. Yet . . .

Forecast for the next 2-3 days has winds 15-20 gusting to 40.  Trailer is shaking now.  Time to just move around and look at some places.  The Beav. is up a little, but clearer than its been in years.  I hear the PMD's started on the MO!  Creeks in 12 days.  I probably shouldn't get "MO'd out" yet, but its tempting.  I can see fish swimming all over in the Beav., though the wind is too hard to even hold a rod, much less cast it.  Bugs?  Probably too early.  Time will tell . . . 
Fishing the Ranch, might as well be fishing the Ranch!

Brute



The old bridge before the repairs start

Lucky one

A few daily from 11-3, but very few.

Best seat in the house at the top of the big island on Millionaires

Finally

Only bug I tied on in 4 days, NO refusals.  None.

Plenty of these every afternoon

Just before the storm

Prime run on Millionaires

The Beast

I was already in the truck!

2 comments: