Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Oct 9, 2020

Wrong Bugs

Careful what I wish for, I guess.  Finally, I mean finally, got a cloudy day ahead of a more promising forecast for some good dry fly fishing.  You know, a few of those "dime a dozen" days of "too easy" baetis magic on the MO.  And I did get that Friday.  A cloudy calm morning that wasn't too cold.  But not many little mayflies by early afternoon.  Then the winds came, and the midges.  MIDGES?

I don't know exactly what these little black bugs are, but there's millions of the little bastards.  They are not the normal looking little sparse fluffy Chironomids.  No, these little bastards look more like a house fly, only about a size 18.  The trout didn't give a shit about them, but they were more annoying than any mosquito hatch I've experienced in recent years.  They didn't bite or drill, but they crawled all over me, in my mouth, up my nose, and behind my glasses.  They made summer caddis swarms seem tame, and less annoying.  I can't ever recall these little bugs on the MO, though they always had to be here.  I've certainly never seen them in this kind of numbers.  I even put on bug dope to try and deter them.  It helped a little, but didn't get rid of the buzzing and crawling.

So, after nearly just walking out a couple of times, and only casting olives to a few good rising fish, I put the 'ole 3X back on to see how well the MO fish liked the leech.  I knew where to cast it for the most part.  I'm sure it went by a whole lot of trout that took little notice, but I did seem to get either a follow (wake) or an eat every 15 minutes or so for several hours.  There was a fish or two interested as I worked down the downwind banks above Lone Tree.  The wind got unmanageable after mid-afternoon.  Still no October magic.  Maybe it just ain't meant to be this year. 

Got the cloudy morning I'd been waiting for.

This is the little bastard.

All over

At their worst standing in the river.




Look at 'em swarming.  The midges!

Might as well.  The wake and take is kinda cool.  Hmm.  Wake and take.  Think I'll go with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment