Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Oct 20, 2022

Change

The winds of change are a howlin' this morning.  I hooked up the trailer, waved a sad goodbye to Pelican, and headed for the big turnout at Lonetree.  I know exactly where some trout live here, intimately, and how to approach for the perfect cast.  I can sight fish without seeing 'em.  The warm wind blows from the south, downstream and slightly off my right casting arm with the current running left to right.   That works, as its parallel to the current and assists most casts.  I'm here for those big ones I see and spook when its sunny and calm.  Early, its still shady here, and the surface is intermittently diamond plated from the gusts.  I can make a very long cast to deliver an unweighted leech with the 5 weight between the strong gusts.  I'm the only one here, and there's hardly a car going by on the normally busy frontage road.  I see a one-time splashy riser here and there, and have no idea what they're chasing after.  Fish are active, like the wind.

With the drop in temperatures and almost certain clouds and precipitation, the fishing will likely just get better and better.  Maybe some heavy hatches.  A jump into high gear.  I've had my run though, and have loved fishing comfortably in summer attire. I milked the last 70-degree day.  I'm moving on today, but with wet waders, stretched line, some weeds in my net, and fish slime on my dried cracked hands.  I brought seven chunky Montana steelhead to those hands on this last day, and had eats from more than that many, all in two 50 yard stretches separated by the island.  As I finish up, the clouds increase and the light dims for the first time in weeks. I feel the temperature drop just a bit, yet it's 1:30 pm. It feels a little like what the world coming to an end might be like, my world anyway, but its simply the end of the endless summer, and the end of my time on the best trout river I know of. 

Looking south at sunrise

I'll miss this view out the trailer window

Blowin' at the 'Tree, but a little protected on the road side

Early fish, still in the shadows, are not too spooky


It really bends with 2X.  They still get to the backing.


Clouds aren't normally a photo op, but I haven't seen any in over a week.

The place to myself

Brunch in the wind

Gusts kept rolling downstream



Montana Steelhead

Last walk down this trail until next summer

Gale force and gray, let's get the hell outta here before you change your mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment