Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Oct 23, 2022

Hello Again

Made it.  Vicious head winds most of the way from Dillon.  Greeted by more high winds and increasing clouds, just ahead of the winter cold front.  Just rain down here, a light dusting of snow overnight on the Sawtooth peaks.  Really cold air was behind the precipitation.  Just fished a couple hours below Purdy's yesterday.  All afternoon today on the Preserve.

Fished here behind the cold front.   A little protected from the blow, and convenient.

There were some toads in here.

And a few in here.

I got one of 'em

It's 11am, frost still on the shaded grass where the sun's rays are blocked by the frosted trees in the near-empty campground.  I can feel warmth in the trailer, where it reads 68 with the furnace on low, as its been all night.

Fog still lingers in the valley.  I bring in my frozen solid waders and wading shoes to soften in front of the furnace.  The sun is out, and soon I'll be able to see the trout, and they'll see me.  Just how its supposed to be.  Silver Creek at its finest.

12:30, and I'm in the water with fish just starting to rise.  I didn't see any rising on the walk in.

Mostly bluebird, but with an occasional little gusty period and some clouds coming and going.

This was the peak of the hatch, 99 percent bwo with a stray mahogany.

They're good lookin' little fellers.

It worked for a bit.


It worked better

This was a first caster.  I burned an hour and a half trying to get a bigger one to eat on the bank behind me here.  Never did eat my fly, but rose head-tail probably 50 times right in my face.  I saw it take some duns.  Not mine.  Maybe tomorrow.

Still come leaves hanging on, even after gusts to 40 before the front.


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful shots...snow up here but slowly warming.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete