Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Oct 5, 2024

Four More

The flow is low. The fair weather's been good except for a couple of windy evenings. The camp is always good.  It's a comfortable place.  Full of fish.  No shortages of challenging fish.  It ain't great but it's entertaining. It would take weeks to fish all of the available and productive sections from the preserve clear down below Priest.  I only scratched the surface.

After a few of days of mahoganies, this was pretty much the name of the game.  #20s, and that was really still too big.

I fished to this guy for a couple of hours one afternoon with not so much as a single take. He was constantly pigging in front of me the whole time. Went back to him the next day and still didn't get any love until I took the smallest mole in my box, trimmed it down, and tied it on a few feet of 7X.  

Most of this species was spawning or getting ready to, and I saw some monsters over some deeper gravel beds, but very few were feeding on top.  There were four giants from 20 to 24 inches I watched in that deep pump house run.  Didn't try to catch 'em.

Lotsa good fish

Spend a day down here at point of rocks throwing mahoganies at some fish late morning.  Best mahogany hatch on the creek, but short.

Favorite fall bug.

It didn't matter where I went, I couldn't get away from these things. The preserve, point of rocks, and even a little side creek.

Speaking of little side creeks, I should have fished it way more. It had somebody on it the last 2 days, but maybe next time.  It was great one evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment