Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Oct 11, 2024

Mr. Blurp

I have a score to settle from yesterday afternoon. It has clouded up and the wind is down so there are some little blue wings on the water, mostly dead spent ones.  Yesterday afternoon I worked this fish for about 20 minutes, finally got him to eat a soft hackle, and missed him bigger than shit.

He's here in the exact lane again, the only rising fish around, blurping in my face over and over just like yesterday.
I position below my favorite rock and put the first cast on him perfect.  Nope.  I break his feeding rhythm three times. He won't eat the soft hackle, nor an Almost Dun, nor a Sri Lanka Veil.

I take a size 20 Adams, clip a bunch of the hackle off, and tweak the wings to one side.  It's definitely dead but still visible.  It takes a few drifts over him but he finally eats.

Into the backing and weeded, but I somehow get him back up through the slow pool and to me.
Send me to school, eh? Son, I've been standing below this rock drifting little dry flies along this weed bed going on 40 years. 🤣

No comments:

Post a Comment