Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Oct 1, 2024

Red

 

This is "Red."  We met this morning at the bottom of the access ramp.  The pic. doesn't do him justice, but his whole side is predominantly red.  He isn't eating this morning.  He chases other trout away from his area and comes right back.  When I approach, he swims out 10 feet or so, but comes back within a couple minutes.  I watch him for 10 or 15 minutes, thinking he would be a cool fish to catch and get a picture of.  I move downstream for the morning, as there are no risers here.

This is where Red likes to be, right at the bottom of the ramp, his body about half way upstream of the hand rail.
Late this afternoon, after I had moved back upstream, I'm fishing my way out and end up at the same ramp where I had seen Red this morning.  I see a rise there, right in that exact spot.  Could it be?  I can't see into the water, and I don't want to spook whatever it is, so I make the long cast.  First cast, and look who wants a late lunch!  It's him!
This is the mahogany adult he eats.  Others eat it this afternoon too.
Red's house, right at the bottom of that railing.
The flat down on the long point.  I hook a couple of nice ones in the usual spot right on the far bank.
I land this one, and get weeded by a couple more.  Maybe I'll bump up to 5x tomorrow, considering I'm throwing mostly #16's.
Definite fly of the day.  Just a single wing mahogany tied with a partridge feather, tied in on top and messed up a little to look "leggy" and move.  Pheasant body.  Took it from the "rescue" box.  It needs another rescue after today.  Or maybe retirement.
So, I stick a few fish, but a hatch never really happens.  Just a bug here and there.  The fish see 'em in this clear water, and seem grateful.  Very few floaters escape uneaten.  I watch fish move a foot or two to take the rare dun.  It's sunny, 70-75, and calm all day.  I've seen great hatches here in such conditions.  Maybe still too early?  I'll go back down in the morning.  The few fish I do find are usually entertaining and challenging.  I don't get 'em all today, that's for sure.  But no near-death experiences with moose, in fact, no moose sightings at all!

2 comments:

  1. Holy crap that is a big, beutiful Redfish! DW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell of a bow! Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete