Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Sep 23, 2017

More MO (3640 cfs)

So yesterday it snowed all day with very little accumulation, and the temperature was in the mid-30's all day, with a slight breeze.  I didn't need to catch one that bad, especially after the day before.  I went to the water a few times and saw all the bugs and rising fish, but didn't want to try to keep my fly dry and my hands from freezing in that.  Good day for a shower and DQ!
 
Today started out bright sunny.  Hit the water about noon, and there were enough bugs, but not many rising fish.  As the afternoon went on, a cloud bank moved in, and the fish ate more.  I didn't really notice more bugs after the clouds, just more noses.  Had to hunt and work for 'em, but that was a nice change from "just chuck it out there."  Stayed busy casting and looking all afternoon.  Landed the fish of the trip so far too.
To Get There

Arrival

#20's and #18's.  Why on earth?  FOD



2nd side channel fished

Didn't even cast to this pod


This bank was where it was at . . . again.

A few hard-to-spot brute noses here

22 inches as measured on my net and wading stick

Worth a second look.  Fat too!

For a different fly to stare at every cast

And it worked on a few.  The water is full of weeds, worst I've seen in a while.  Need to use the "Missouri  River Slap" nearly every cast.
 

1 comment:

  1. Jim: Wow, those browns (colors)...very special... on dries...how do you top that? You got your groove!!! I've spent a lot of time fishing that location. My old dog's name is etched in the metal/steel beam up river side of bridge along with another dog name from another angler. We struck up a conversation and found out it was our favorite spot on the river. He told me his last dog's name was on the bridge. My retriever was with me then but 2 yrs later when she passed I scratched her name under his dog's name. Silly story but when at the Mo I always spend a lot of time there, feels good to be there, and catch some nice ones.
    Your trip is in full swing....
    bob

    ReplyDelete