Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Sep 21, 2017

Rising Fish, Falling Water! (4,000 to 3,640)

Ok, I left the Fork Monday and B-lined to the sure thing.  Not many folks here.  Tuesday and Wednesday were windy, as forecasted, but there were still BWO's and a few fish to be found when I got out and looked hard enough.  All in the afternoon.  Mornings are dead.
 
Today was one of those afternoons that we visitors (tourists) wait around for days to happen.  Clear start, warmer, clouds covering the sky in the afternoon, NO wind, lots of bugs, and fish up everywhere.  Singles, pods, banks lined with noses.  Just enough bugs to bring 'em all up, but not carpeted, so they could easily find the larger-than-natural #18's I fished all day.  It started about 1:00, and was still going strong when I "limited out" at 6:30.  Pretty much non-stop action.  Fly didn't matter.  I indulged in the madness.  Oh, and the water dropped a little too! 
 
Now I have my rhythm.  In the groove.  Like that's hard here!  Just what I needed though.  And I ain't done yet, but the storm is blowing in, and its supposed to be windy and shitty tomorrow.  That's ok.  There's more good ones coming.  Maybe.  Hopefully.
Just me, free camping.
 
First pod, first afternoon
 
A few fish working the bank here
 
Early afternoon magic all in this channel
 
Pod working here non-stop
 
It worked.  Over dressed, shitty hook, poorly tied Sri Lanka.  Deadly here.
 
 
Some dandies along this whole bank
 
Lots of soft hackle love.  Hours.
 
 
Whole bank with noses
 
Stuck a few pigs on the bank here
 
Its a caddis, but a #18, and they took it for a BWO over and over.
 
 
 
You know you're on the MO when you see a riffle (upper left), but its really not!
 
All heads, no riffle!
 
Even a Sri Lanka soft hackle worked.
 
 
Bank below the bridge had a pod
 
 
From the bridge
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment