Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Sep 26, 2017

'Strong

Needed a creek fix.  3-weight.  Light and stealthy.  My big brown trout place was fishless other than a couple 13 inchers.  This place is always full of fish, testing fish.  A-game.  I get a better drift with 7X, and I get more eats with 7X.  I know, I tried it.  6X works though, and makes more sense.  I think.  I can pull more hooks with it!  Sure did plenty of that with these small flies.  Hooked some dandies.  Formed some relationships with a few others.
 
Day one was sunny turning cloudy.  Day two was cloudy turning mostly sunny.  Both were about the same, maybe more bugs and risers on the sunny to cloudy day.  I saw multiple fish eat adult PMD's both days.  Had a couple eat a #16 I tossed their way too!  But it was mainly midges in the morning, and baetis through the afternoon.  I fished #20's.  Smaller would have worked better, maybe.  How the hell would one tie a #24 Sri Lanka, anyway?  Didn't get any love on a #24 Griffiths.  Everything else small got ate at least once or twice.  Some a lot more. 
 
Judy wasn't answering the phone, so I just drove in, signed in, paid my $80, and fished.  I was the only car in the lower lot the whole two days!  Having the whole run there to myself made life easy.
 
Iconic
 
 
CDC on a hook worked good
 
Big Fish Place
 
Fat boy on 6X
 
That one ate this
 
 
Love this drift.  On the flat, and edge of the weeds
 
Really
 
 
Trout Flats.  About a foot deep.
 
Extraordinary sight fishing
 
Day two FOD.  Yes, its a thread-tail, nice and frayed.  Hackle on a hook.
 
 
Traditional worked good at the top of the run
 
No love here this time
These are four attempts to get that above/below shot I've been attempting from time to time all season.  I need flat, super-slow moving water, and was reluctant to move and spook the run just for a shot.  These are closer though.  Weather window is closing for underwater shots.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment