Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jul 8, 2019

July My Ass

The cold front made me run the furnace all night last night.  Cloudy all day today at Last Chance.  High in the low 50's.  Flannel shirt and long johns.  Maybe this is the summer I should have gone to Campeche.  After about 11, there were quite a few pmd's, followed by green drakes.  The river was alive with rising fish.  DINK FEST!  I had one good take below the Last Chance lot.  The mid-afternoon storm killed the hatches and that was that.

This evening I went to Millionaires to check on Brown Drakes.  The air had a lot of them around 8pm.  Some on the water too.  But again, hardly a fish up on them for some reason.  Maybe they think its about to freeze over?  Anyway, I had a good take and hooked another large fish on the drake, and those were the only two fish I found to cast to.  Pretty damned uneventful.  Rumor has it the sun will appear tomorrow.  Madison or Millionaires?  Hmmm.  Maybe I need to do what I do when the snow flies in October.  Go south and west.  Silver Creek?  Owyhee? 

On a side note, support global warming.  Leave your auto idling.  Burn wood and fossil fuel, even if you don't need to.  Make a campfire just for the hell of it.  Build up that greenhouse.  Fast.
Some spinners in the air

These on the water, but no takers.  ???

Ho Hum.  Just another fall afternoon in the golden triangle.

Those specks are brown drakes in the air

1 comment: