Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jul 2, 2019

Upper Creek

Nice to swing the 3 wt. for a change.  Really nice.  Yesterday's hatch was good.  Today's was late and lighter.  Both days had afternoon storms, more and earlier today.  So a good day and a fair-at-best one.  Again though, I think there's too many rods allowed on this creek.  The two NYC loudmouths below me both days (Sounded like a Zyppah commercial), guides with clients in the riffle where its easy, and me stuck in the middle.  Not really going upstream unless its early.  All these clowns think 50-60 feet is enough room. I know this going in, bit I still don't have to like it.  Yesterday I stood my ground, and fished where I liked to.  Today I started high, went downstream and never saw or heard anyone until I came back, and then the wind came up about 1:00 ahead of the hail.  Evening bite?  Spinnerfall?  Ya, right.  Further downstream tomorrow, new creek, new assholes. (Travis and company)  I have four days, which really means about two with the weather this year.  Will probably fish some in the middle sections if there's bugs.
Patch is getting pretty full.  They've all been ate.


Fish rising in morning shadows on the bank.

The early morning fly

Sometimes can get a decent shot if the damn sun would come out.

Those three in the distance came down to casting distance from me

Best during the hatch


Lovely white glare all day today



Solitude




One-eyed ones don't see the micro-drag as good, but what about the fly?


Even got a few eats on this yesterday


1:00 pm today.  It never left.  

No comments:

Post a Comment