Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jul 6, 2019

Revisited . . . And GO SMALL!

Sunny and calm this morning, and a decent hatch and spinnerfall starting right on time just before 10.  I was curious if that big brown on the far bank would ever make it back there, considering I'd seen him there two days in a row and caught him yesterday.  Sure enough, one of the first fish rising at the top of the run was a good brown, in the exact same spot to the very inch.  It had to be him, right?  It took over an hour to get him to eat, despite him rising fairly regularly the whole time.  It sure looked like the same fish.

Upon further review of both photos, the spot patterns are identical.  Same fish!  I had released him yesterday on the opposite bank, so he knew where he lived apparently.  Reminds be of that Beaverhead rainbow a few years back, same fish on the same spot on the bank, twice.  So that was the highlight of the day.  I finally discovered late in the hatch that they wanted the #20 hanger or I would have had many more.  Maybe Mr. Brown Trout sooner too.  I knew this from two days ago, but I was missing a ton of eats with it, so I put it on the patch and forgot how many fish were eating it.  Its the size stupid!



A "new" brown

They really wanted this tiny #20 WAY more than the same 18


My old friend from the last two days.  Good getting to know you.  Sorry for the hassles!

Spot pattern is identical.  He kept me occupied for a few mornings!  5 eats in all.

No comments:

Post a Comment