Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jul 15, 2019

Mo'n Them Down

Well, summer finally showed up.  Need to be standing in a river.  The Madison is too fast to stand in to stay cool, and it isn't fishing as good as first appeared even with thick caddis punctuated by salmonflies.  I usually get my fill of the MO, like two weeks ago, but it doesn't take long to start missing it and appreciating the greatest dry fly river in America.  They've raised the water back to 6,000, so getting around is more work, but its cool on the legs and body. 

These fish are like baby tarpon, only they're 20-inches and the Gurglers are smaller.  I see my backing on more fish here than in Campeche.  Granted I'm using 4X, not 50 lb.  They are as close as you get to steelhead on dead-drifted dries. The caddis are thick, and there's still enough PMD's to hold interest.  The fish are looking for the spinner, or knock-down.  This place is in a league of its own, beyond compare.  Always has been.

The splash and giggle crew showed up Friday and Saturday, about 11:30 at Lone Tree.  Nice until then, and again towards evening.  Crowds have thinned from two weeks ago, maybe due to higher water.  Fish are eating caddis, but I've fished the Galloup killer most of the last 4 days.  Why not, they all eat it, all day.  The #16 too.



Fly of the Season


Chest high wade to get here now

Plenty of afternoon clouds for the PMD's

Caddis are back!

MO Thick

Thick enough to land in my Angel Dust

Caddis you say?

I now mostly have this killer run to myself

Chromer


Mid-day

Just go in

What the hell?  And its a Utard!

Nightly, with risers.




3 comments:

  1. Jim: Great looking flies and fish. My local tailwaters are dying out re: bug life and rising fish.
    bob

    ReplyDelete