Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Sep 17, 2021

Different Stretch

OK, so this is turning into a daily soap opera, but its MY soap opera.  I can't even remember the fishing in June this year without looking back.  There's nothing going on in the evenings unless I'm lucky, and I used that up the one evening at Osborne.  So I have plenty of time and battery.

This morning, I wasn't going to get a repeat yesterday's cloudy-day magic, or all the luck from the day before.  I needed a change of scenery too.  Forecast was for sunny turning windy, so I figured it would be a short day anyway.  One I needed, truth be told.  So I stayed below Ranch View, knowing it wasn't going to be epic or anything.  It did finally work itself out after a cold start that had me slipping on frozen wading shoes, and walking with my hands in my pockets.  Fall on the caldera.  

Cold walk in from the Silver Lake parking lot

Only to find weeds nearly covering the path into the main channel, and birds galore.  It was still cold, and I wasn't thrilled with my location.

The water below the confluence was hardly moving.  Too slow for me.

So I walked out, warmed up, and drove down to Sage Flats to cross the river and walk back up.

Of course, I ended up right back where I started, only on river left, and got in another mile of walking, wading, and sage busting.

Its now nearly 10:00, and not a bug to be seen, trico or otherwise.

In the distant shadow of the smoky Tetons.  That's Les over on the other side of those peaks.😁

I thought this riffle might have its own little hatch of something.  Nope.

I had to do it.  A mile of 6X and a #20 trico-ish thing.  They ate it though!

The current was slow enough to mess with the fish until they got a bunch of weeds on 'em and then I could run 'em down with the net.

This stuff made an acceptable landing zone for the 6X.  Yes, I'm upstream from where I first walked in (background), and then drove a mile downstream to walk a mile to get back up here!

It really was very green


The only one I saw all morning, on my waders

The last risers were here, just before the wind.


Like sands though the hourglass . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment