Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Sep 27, 2021

Week Two

Nearing the end of September, and I haven't fished anywhere else this month.   Two afternoons on Flat Creek while enroute to the Fork, but that's it.  Its a hard place to leave when there's quality fish rising every morning and most evenings.  All day when its calm.  Shoulda bought a cabin here in 1984, or '94, or hell, even '04.

Just a couple years ago, or less, I wrote that the river is in trouble.  That may still be the case, with dirty water from the lake, considerably more fishermen, and lighter hatches.  It sure seems to be doing ok this month though.  I've also written how I wished for one of those "catastrophic drought" years again, and I got it this year!  The Fork is at a trickle right now (150-ish), and fishing has been great!  Bring on another one.  I haven't heard of any drought-related fish kills, the cows still have hay, and all is well after one of the hottest summers on record.

Back to the Fork.  Maybe the lighter hatches have made the fish less selective.  It sure seems that way.  The river now has drift boats floating the ranch daily, and that is disheartening to sickening to me.  Just plain ass wrong.  But it's still the Fork, and it has its moments almost daily.  This week was no exception.  

But alas, time to head somewhere else to chill a little and do some exploring.  I'm kinda liking that these days.  The MO and creeks will be there, and so will I, in time.
From under 500 to 140.  Knee high everywhere

Looks like Fall

Definitely Fall, despite 70 degree days





Fly of the month





Finally left Millionaires for a few evenings to use this trail again





Les after that big sunset riser


This pool was going to be for the birds this morning . . . 

But I got 'em outta there

Big heads up on both sides of me


This was the best baetis

I don't know what they thought this PMD was, but they ate it.  Maybe they thought it was a PMD!

Handy root ball


The old ranch bridge had more character, but this one isn't ugly



Les' photo


No comments:

Post a Comment