Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jun 27, 2022

Move Around, Dummy

Sometimes getting into a routine backfires.  I get into routines.  Fishing familiar runs that have brought recent success, despite those runs not currently producing.  Such as it was for Millionaires and the Ranch View runs lately. I wanted the fish there to rise.  "Those" fish.  The ones I got into at the opener.  They wouldn't.  There were PMD's, at times lots, both hatching and spinners.  After a few piss-poor mornings and evenings, I moved to the upper ranch, and the fish were rising despite the crowds.  They weren't those 20"+ Millionaires fish, but they were nice enough, and damn sure welcome after pissing away three days down lower.  Lesson learned?  Maybe, maybe not.  But it'll be tucked into the memory bank for a while.  I was ready to move on, somewhere, anywhere, if things didn't brighten up.  The MO is rumored to be insanely crowded.  I'll probably still have to see for myself before hitting the creeks starting July 1.  Until then, Log Jam to 3rd Fence will work.  Ants and Moles did the catching.  I awoke the next morning to the wind.  Again.  Enough is enough.  Outta here.

Familiar Waters

A Harrop winged beetle creation from last year




No comments:

Post a Comment