Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jun 18, 2022

She's cleared!

I pulled into gravel pits a couple minutes before midnight, so I'm saying I made it to opening day, and that's my story.  I woke up here on the morning of the 15th.   I took the walk through Millionaires.  Dirty water.  Not promising, not happening, and very windy.  No bugs the first morning, so I moved around and made myself at home. The pits look like New York City.  Ranch lots full.  Everybody just talking.

Too windy the second day, and still dirty water.  Lots of Norman training time.  A very rough night, and woke feeling extremely crappy the third.  To the Falls for a quick covid test (negative, but I felt that bad), and then I made use of the time with Norman, training and getting him into a road life routine.  So far, so good on that!

Today I walked into Millionaires, and low and behold, I could see my wading shoes two feet down!  I finally got a calm morning with light overcast, pmd spinners on the water when I arrived (late) at 9am, and some fish on 'em.  Good fishing for two hours until the wind came up.  Four for four!  That was all I had in me anyway.  Not bad for a guy who hardly fly fishes any more, with blurry vision, and barely upright.  I'll have to pace myself in short stints.  Choose time and places wisely.  

Now I feel for all the other old crippled fuckers limping around the parking lots and hobbling down the trails.  I are one, as they say.  

Dirty and empty on opening morning.

I made it!  Perfect evening, but nothing doing.

This dummy was eating in the Osborne scum hole on day one, while the water was murky.  

Finally, after the long, tiresome, debilitating  winter and spring.  Finally.  Home.

Only fly I tied on.


Same run all morning

Even an evening fish.


1 comment:

  1. Great to see you back at it - Here's to hoping your health improves!!

    ReplyDelete