Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jul 9, 2022

Other Side

It's been over 30 years, near as I can remember, since I've fished this creek on the other side of the river.  You can't get on it during PMD season, but I found a cancellation right after the flood last month and jumped on it.  I had remembered it as having more flat water, lots of broad pools, and some pretty spooky fish compared to Armstrong's and Depuy's.  That's what I found.  But they were eatin' right from the start.  They took every fly I tied on too!  I fished one pool for 4 hours, so was throwing at the same 8 or 10 fish except for the two or three newcomers every hour or so. The fish demanded the perfect drift, so it was a 6X morning.  I watched fish refuse naturals all morning!  But the fly wasn't as important.  If they didn't eat one, they ate another.  I did continue the pattern of fucking up the three or four bigger fish that ate.  Broken tippet, a log, a tear-out, just a miss.  The usual stuff.  Maybe next year . . . 





The PHD was still the star of the show

Eats on the spider

Oldie but goodie, a LaFontaine Halo Emerger

I forgot what this one is called, but I could see it and they ate it.


There's an emerger up there



I fished this flat for four hours to constant risers.


1 comment:

  1. I bet you were thinkin of yer Ole pal The Gunner today on his 64th birthday werntcha? Looks like the Creeks have treated ya well enuf... Hope to get there this fall. Hang in there Friend!

    ReplyDelete