Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jul 1, 2021

Creek Browns!

There appears to be no shortage of brown trout in this creek, unlike what they're saying about many of the other Montana rivers.  All browns were living under the willows and on the banks of Armstrong's this morning.  The hatch started WAY early.  PMD's going when I got in the water at 7:30!  They went all day, and were still going a little when I quit at 2-something.  It was a "just right" hatch.  Enough bugs to keep fish up all day long, but not so many as to make them too selective.  Yes, some were on spinners, while some seemed to like the emerger more, and there were multiple fish eating duns from start to finish.  Duns!  I caught a bunch of rainbows from mid-river, mostly on the small side, and a few that took me to the cleaners.  6X drifted better than the 5X I started with, and broke easier when they found the streamside vegetation.  Definitely more eats though.

I was gonna wait and post the whole 7 days at the end, kinda like the MO post.  But today was different, and I'm slacking on the evening bite.  It clouded up this afternoon, but no rain or relief from the scorching 95 degree high.  That creek water is cold though, and I didn't feel the heat until I got out.  This is only day one, I have 6 more!

Early morning

Still the coolest damn trout flat there is.

The flat from the east bank

Started the morning with this getting ate

The first loop-wing killer

Always gets some creek love

I haven't tied on a traditional no-hackle in years!  They loved it today!

This seemed to be the preferred spinner.  (Only one I tried!)

Well, I guess they took this for a spinner too.  It floats!

FOD for sure.  Eaten Often


Oh man, I gotta say it.  "Look at the colors on that one!"

Pay attention

I love these half and half shots.  Gotta get more practice.


The lone semi-photo-worthy 'bow I got to hand.


1 comment:

  1. Jim: Love those underwater shots, esp of the brown trout. And of course those creative fly patterns. Great trout. You are doing it on the creek again.
    bob

    ReplyDelete