Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jul 3, 2021

Rainbow

 Trout, that is.  They were just above where I fished yesterday, the top of the run where that other guy was parked all day.  And some nice ones too, on river right no less.  Another perfect hatch, starting pretty early, and followed by the evening spinners on the spooky flat above the riffle.  Those were the biggest fish, apparently they don't allow kids in there.  Security is tight.

Speaking of security, apparently a black bear was watching me this morning.  A couple of the ranch hands carrying rifles approached me and asked if I had seen the bear.  What bear?  The one they were going to take a shot at, but I was in the way!  They said it has been on the property stirring up trouble, getting into things like bears do, and took off into the bushes behind me before they could shoot with a clean backstop.  I never saw it, or heard a gun shot, but went into my "Hey Bear!" mode for the rest of the day and the evening. 

And ya, there were about 6 big fish doin' it at the bottom of that long flat before sunset.  I got 5 of them to eat, and a couple to the net.  Remember that for next time!  Not many weeds yet like there is by September.

Dawn's early light

Short S-casts for the win 

Long version

East side flat just below the riffle

From the east bank  looking west

Still my favorite drift, an inch from the willows, in the shade.

Evening flat just above the riffle

In addition to the flies I fished yesterday and already posted about . . . 


Got ate pretty well

Got ate even better

What a no-hackle looks like when it's working

FOD  They loved it.





You're welcome.






Look at the spots on that one. 😄

 

No comments:

Post a Comment