Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jul 4, 2021

Exploration

 After an exhausting day yesterday, I just couldn't get myself up at 6 this morning.  So I decided on a little more sleep, breakfast, and a later start.  I fished it different today.  There is some middle water I haven't really given a fair (morning) chance in a few years.  Today was the day to fish from middle hut up through the narrows.  This is why I have the "extra" days booked.  The bugs were thin.  Very sparse.  The fish density seemed less than at the big three of Betty's, Eva's, and the lower section.  Or so it seemed.  But I did find a big fish or two lurking here and there.  I spooked some too.  I'm certain there were others I never saw due to the nearly non-hatch.  I never saw another angler until I walked up on the culvert and peered up at Betty's.  It was a good day to enjoy the isolation from highway 89 traffic, mid-morning shade provided by the big trees on river right, intermittent cloudiness that preceded an early evening thunderstorm, and slightly less-hot temperatures.  Eva's was good again towards evening before the thunderstorm.

Too big for a cabin, but might be able to pitch a tent on that island.


So I fucked up the cast to the big brown feeding on this edge this morning.  He went runnin'. This afternoon, he was back and I got a shot.  First cast he ate the loop wing, one jump, and headed into the weeds.  That was that.  


Big browns rose on each sides of this log against the bank. I got the first, and the second one took off downstream never to be seen again.

Down the narrows

Glad I passed on that this morning

This place is full of big risers, but you can't wade in the muck.

Full of pigs

Can't even approach the water here without spooking everything.

Spinner of choice the past 24 hours

Look who made an appearance today!  I was holding off, but no more.

Still liking it a lot.






No comments:

Post a Comment