Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Jul 8, 2021

Finale

One more cloudy morning!  Even into the early afternoon.  I returned to the scene of last evening's crime to see just how big some of those fish were.  I was patient until late in the morning, and managed to turn three big fish from the grassy banks, but never touched one. There just wasn't much happening bug-wise.  Some spinners over the faster water, some dropping and drifting down. Maybe had I stayed, but it was the last day, and I had to move downstream to see what was really happening.  Good move! 

I hadn't not started a morning below Eva's, but probably should have, given what I saw.  Bugs on the water, and fish up when I got there.  The first fish I took, no more than an inch off the far grass, was the largest I landed in the 7 days on both creeks.  It was a MO-sized brown, on the mole, first cast.  After that, I just had fun in the ankle deep stuff just below. (For Bob!)  Ya, I like the skinny water too, and I could approach and make casts to rising fish due to the cloud cover.  They got really spooky mid-afternoon when the sun popped back out in between thunderstorms.  When that happened, I moved down the the deeper, knee-high riffle on the bend in front of the picnic table.  There were some big rainbows in there, and I hooked a bunch of 'em, but only touched a few.  

I fished 'till I dropped.  It was probably a good thing the howling wind sent me packing a couple hours before sunset.  The back and shoulder have had more than enough.  I sure wish I could fish as long as I used to, and pain free.  In the fall, the shorter days aren't quite as much of a problem.  I'll sure miss the morning-evening days of June and July though, especially these slightly cooler cloudy ones without the cold.

Cloudy morning looking up at the corner

Where they moved the water last night

When you come to the fork in the trail, take it.

Mosquito-infested

Whitewater at the top, and the wonderful clouds

Mr. Bank Feeder

One of those chompers got me while removing the hook

Ankle deep


#18, with a sparse wing.  FOD

Pigs under the picnic table

Top view



Spinners right before the thunderstorm


There went the evening bite. Seven days on the creeks ends here.


1 comment:

  1. Jim; You had a good run on that creek. Seven days. Those creeks are intense. Fine fish everyday! Love that bank Brown. Deep tone to it. I find catching them is always special...Love that ankle deep shot...ha! Continued good success.
    bob

    ReplyDelete