Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Oct 18, 2018

More SFB

This place has quickly grown on me, and I've only really fished about 1/2 mile of it!  The hatch seems to be up near the dam, but that's where I fished the prime times, down to the "Village." The river transitions quickly from spring-creek looking to more cobblestone.  Wading is slippery.  Madison/Big Hole like, only smaller cobble.  Caddis, PMD's, Baetis, and midges.  Seen fish eat 'em all.  This will become a regular fall stop, when flows drop and winter's grip hits further north and east.  It still looks and feels like fall.  Summer at times.   I could fish here a week, easy.  There's over 10 miles along the riverside road, most of which I didn't even look at.  There were enough fish up just up and down from my pullout for a whole day. 
From 1300 feet up

The upper mile has a lot of anchored weeds

Kinda Ranch lookin'

Just before noon, and there are still runs  like this that haven't had any sunlight

There are some average ones in here!

The far side had a bunch of heads

The sun finally found its way

So did the pigs

Got some good soft-hackle love.  #16!

This far bank had a bunch of big heads working, but I couldn't get to 'em for a good drift.

I finally made it across up here, but the wind had started.

Some nice fish in faster water

From the far side

Back on the near side upstream

The lower far side again

Pig after pig . . . 


No comments:

Post a Comment