Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Oct 14, 2018

"O"? Oh!

This place wreaks of huge browns.  Riffles full of them spawning or getting damn ready too.  20-25 inchers, no exaggeration.  Like logs.  There were a couple/three rising in the slow water too.  No bugs as I drove up, and it wasn't until well into the afternoon that they started.  First BWO's. then PMD's.  Yes, PMD's!  Fish eating the duns, and I got caught with my pants down and my vest pockets empty of any PMD boxes.  Luckily I had a couple on the patch and a few more misplaced ones in the boxes I did carry.  I didn't want to leave the fish to go back to the trailer for the PMD box.  I did get four of the giants to eat, or four eats from the same couple of fish.  At any rate, I got one to hand.  The best brown trout river in America says some literature.  Hard to argue otherwise.  I forgot just how pig-infested it is. 
Super low.  A mere 32 cfs.

And "Owyhee clear"

None here on the way up

Bridge hole had some fish starting

Below had some too

Wait, is that . . . ?

A Larry sighting, doing what he does.  We chatted



When I got in, the riffle was full of huge browns

All paired up

I didn't have it in me to cast something in front of 'em.  But shit, there were a bunch of huge ones.

A dink here, a nice one on Silver.

PMD's IN THE HOUSE!

This got some eats

As the sun went behind the cliffs

And the shadows grew

I finally got some bigs

This got ate too

Took this kind of casts

My biggest brown of the season!  Fat and way over the 20 inch mark on 6X.

Decent bow too

4 comments:

  1. Jim: Sounds amazing with the super low flows and sight-fishing to Browns; big browns. Never fished the river. Have to go and spend some time exploring. i have driven along it on interstate. Of course, seen what it has to offer through your blog over the yrs. Nice outing. I'm sure more to come.
    bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. The part I fish is 30+ miles from any interstate. Below Owyhee Dam. Cold water. I need to fish it more. Its full of pig browns. Every riffle has 'em paired up. Leaving those alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim: I thought you were on the brown trout river near Dillon. Great looking fish, and size and neat looking water.
    bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't stay at the beaverhead long, it was still flowing a little high for my liking, Full Of Weeds, windy, and no hatch. Oh yeah, then it snowed. It's been sunny and mid-sixties around Boise for the last few days, fishing the Owyhee and Boise Rivers. I'll be hooked up to a tarpon in 9 days and 12 hours.

      Delete