Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Oct 2, 2018

On the Road

After the U-turn of 603 miles from Wolf Creek Bridge back to home last Saturday, and a little re-booting, I headed north again this morning.  Stopped at the creek on the way up for a quick walk through.  No bugs, but it was all before noon. Skies were cloudy enough, and wind was tolerable, but just a few smaller fish mysteriously rising.  Never saw any of the giants.
She looked good!

Still a ton of weeds

Had a couple working here and took one

Only fly I tried

Nobody home in the hog hole.  A bunch of brookies at the top of it.  ???
So I headed up over the rim, past the Roosevelt fire, and down into Jackson and Flat Creek.  It was raining with lightning so I had to wait until late afternoon before making it to the creek.  When I got there, there were a few nice fish working a bank, and I mean ON the bank.  Less than an inch.  I spent the whole evening fishing to them, and was taken right to school.  I did get two of the three to eat, but never hooked up on them.  Had a couple more fish in the middle of the creek eat, with the same result.  Not sure what they were eating, but all I could see was midges, and a BWO every 30 seconds or so.  But they were up and doing it on the midges!
Ready to go!

They were on that left bank in the slower current.  I had to stand on the point on the right and cast across.  

To get the eats, I had to pull the Harrop Midge card, the tiny one.
Now I'm back on the Fork.  The wind is ripping, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment